Generate a Windows Memory Dump from VMware
This is a simple process to generate a full memory dump for a Windows server running on VMware. There are no actions required within the VM itself, the only requirement is that you’re able to suspend the VM.
- Download the Vmss2core tool from VMware Flings.
- Suspend the VM you want to collect the memory dump for, this will generate a
- Navigate to the datastore your VM resides on and download the
- Move the VM and the Vmss2core files into the same folder.
- Run the following command to generate a
.\vmss2core-sb-8456865.exe -W8 TESTVM-4409dd21.vmss TESTVM-4409dd21.vmem
You will now have a
memory.dmp file that you can further analyze.